Recently, Danny was asked to take a Bible study series through Genesis which was a real privilege. Genesis has to be one of the most important books in the Bible for a number of reasons:
- It answers the most fundamental questions of life such as ‘Who am I?’, ‘Why am I here?’, ‘Why so much suffering in the world?’, ‘Why does God seem so distant?’
- It tackles the most fundamental truths of humanity such as the sanctity of life, gender, sexuality, marriage, right/wrong and many other crucial topics.
- Genesis describes life in a time span greater than all of the other books of the Bible put together – from creation until around 1800BC.
- Every important doctrine in Scripture has its first mention in Genesis such as death/resurrection, eternal security, justification by faith, sovereign election, Israel, the rapture, the divine incarnation and many others.
- There are over 165 direct quotes or references to Genesis in the NT, and over 100 of these are references to the first 11 chapters. Every NT author refers to something in Genesis 1-11 and Jesus refers to this section on at least 6 different occasions.
As a result, it’s no surprise this section of Scripture is the most attacked by critics of the Bible and the most compromised on by the church. This has taken a dramatic turn in the last few decades where virtually every moral boundary that has an origin in Genesis has been under extreme attack in our courts, schools, mainstream media outlets, scientific establishments, and even our churches!
We invite you to listen to this Bible Study which comprise of 21 one-hour studies – we hope you enjoy them and find them informative. Let us know if you have any questions…
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1 NIV)