You would hope that anyone could go into a church for a Sunday service and hear a solid gospel message, the fact that this is not case is not only shocking but evidence we are in the end times. So, how do you identify a remnant church?
Every week thousands attend churches without knowing anything is wrong, many of these people may not even be ‘born again’ because they’ve not been told the need for repentance by their leaders.
Then there are those who can see the apostasy in our churches but don’t have any churches near them that are truthful to God’s Word. It is a sad climate that we live in as the support of Christian fellowship is an important, if not essential, to Christian life – particularly as society continues turning its back on God. One assurance we have is that God will always keep a remnant of true believers – as we’ve covered before, God has always kept a group of true believers in the past and it’s no different today.
One of the challenges is being able to identify a remnant church, everything can appear fine on the surface of many churches so a closer look is often needed. This article on Charisma – 9 Signs of the Modern-Day Remnant Church – gives the following list to look for:
- They will become more entrenched in the Word of God the more the world opposes them
- They will become the vilified in society
- They will preach countercultural biblical messages
- They will produce the most committed Christians and make disciples
- They will experience a greater presence and power of God than other churches
- They will become more visible and distinct as the culture becomes more decadent
- They will be more excluded and separated from mainstream secular evangelical churches and denominations
- The remnant church will change the world
- The remnant church will endure while the compromising church will fade away
May of these you won’t spot from attending a single service but if you’ve been at a church for sometime you should be able to see how they weigh up. There are more details in the article which we recommend reading as being in the right church as we nearer Jesus’ return is vital. Even attending a church for the first time you can get a feel for their priorities, do they glorify Jesus Christ or want to entertain you?!
If God is the priority in our lives, we must evaluate where we worship – we know what the future has in store and that persecution against Christians will only increase! Being in a remnant church could prove to be the safest place as society continues to rage against the Lord!
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. (2 Timothy 4:3-4)